It’s rare to find beginner knitting projects that are still stylish and modern. Aside from our easy patterns and beginner kits, obviously! We love Jessica’s blog, Mama in a Stitch for that very reason. She shares quick and easy projects that are perfect for those of us just starting out. In fact, we love her so much – she’s our very first Blogger of the Month!
WHY WE’RE OBSESSED
A master of both knitting and crochet, Jessica loves to share her adventures with yarn over on her blog. From her Big Beginner Knit Shawl to her Jewelry Catchers, we love the way she makes every project feel so easy. Plus, she’s got great taste in yarn if we do say so ourselves – check out her review of Wool and the Gang’s Billie Jean and the lovely scarf she made with the upcycled denim.
WHAT WE LOVE ABOUT HER BLOG
Clearly inspired by her hometown of Colorado, Jessica’s love for mountains and the outdoors find their way into her knitting and crochet projects. The colourful design on her Modern Camp Crochet Blanket remind us of green mountains and blue waves, and as the name suggests – would make the perfect camping season accessory. We’re also fans of her sweet little daisy pattern – this easy crochet project is simple even for a total beginner and uses up those scrap pieces of yarn you definitely have lying around.
A FEW OF HER FAVOURITE THINGS
- Favourite type of yarn: I really enjoy chunky and super chunky wool yarns.
- Knitting Project you are most proud of: My Boxy Knit T Shirt that I recently designed and knit has to be one of my favorites. It’s super comfortable and casual so I love to wear it.
- You can only choose one! Knitting or crochet? If I had to choose one it would have to be knitting. Thank goodness I won’t ever have to pick one over the other!
- Your top knitting Disaster? Tell us about it: Honestly, the worst knitting disaster was the first time that I tried to knit. I almost gave up completely as I tried to learn from a book. My cast on was a mess of knots! I’m glad that I later discovered YouTube video tutorials so that I could watch knitting in action.
- Favourite Song: This is a hard one. I grew up with classic country music, but currently, I’m loving Adele’s song “Hello”
- Dream Destination: It would be a trip through South America. I love the variety of culture and the diverse landscape.
- What’s on your Wishlist? My wish list includes some chickens, new camping equipment, a trip somewhere with my family, and better storage for my yarn collection.
- Current project: I just finished two big projects, so I’m trying to decide what to make next. I’m on a kick of making tops, so most likely I’ll continue with that trend.
If you’d like to see more, check out Jessica’s blog, Mama in a Stitch, and follow her over on Instagram. She’s even written about a few of her favourite Wool and the Gang products – including Jersey Be Good yarn and the Wonder Wool Sweater. Thank you Jessica, for being our Blogger of the Month this February!