Embroidery using chain stitch is an easy and eye-catching way of customising your knits.
We show you how to make the chain stitch in our quick and easy tutorial. All you need is some left-over yarn and a chunky knitter’s sewing needle – we’ve used our Crazy Sexy Wool in Lipstick Red and Ivory White.
1. Thread your needle with a length of yarn, about 50 cm/20” long. Fasten your yarn on the wrong side of the knitted piece. Bring the needle out through the fabric in the place where you want to make the first stitch.
2. Pull on the yarn until it has all been pulled through to the right side.
3. Insert the needle in the same spot where you just brought it out to the right side. The working yarn should be looped/trapped under the point of the needle.
4. Pull needle and yarn through to the right side again, and tug gently until the new loop tightens up.
5. The chain stitch has now formed.
Now repeat steps 2 to 5 to continue embroidering to create your letter.
Give it a whizz and make your statement for winter!
Here’s our Ashleigh Sweater worn by Tracey Antonopoulos.